Travelogue III: China
A gal's last summer before The Rest Of Her Life begins.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Drifting along the Mekong

Reattaching music memory. Playing school-study playlists here so I can be reminded of this cranky, rusty, noisy, wonderful old cargo boat that's taking us from China to Thailand. I decided to take a detour since I suddenly have an extra entry on my double entry visa since I decided not to go to Mongolia. We're headed to Chiang Mai, Thailand for a few days before I return to Beijing to start training for my volunteer program - RCEF.

We went down to the docks at Jinghong to see if any cargo boats were heading to Thailand. Incidentally, one was leaving the next day, so we asked the captain if we could come along for the ride. Since he was heading down there anyways, it was extra cash for him. We floated along, with Burma on one side, and Laos on the other. And... the cargo was beer. We ate with the crew, and I pestered them with questions. We drank in the evening and ate Shannon's 'special cookies'. We docked for the night along the banks, and we disembarked for a twilight hike in the bamboo rainforest. I guess the good thing about not travelling alone is having someone to enjoy hikes and special cookies with.

I love the breeze on boats. There's something about the way the air runs smoothly over your skin and roughshodden through your hair. It's dark and it's beautiful out there - with bamboo rainforest all around us. It's hot enough to be uncomfortable, but not so bad that it's unbearable without a fan. I'm so happy right now that my mind can't even completely wrap around it. It's not bursting or overflowing, or that sense of ecstatic disbelief when you've won the lottery or someone proposes. It's a kind of quiet self-possessing happiness. It's not just the amount of happiness, but also the sheer absence of unhappiness of any sort. No stresses, no worries, nothing pressing. This boat trip is one of the best spontaneous things I've done in a long time. There's nothing tomorrow but more hanging out on the boat. It's a wonderful, lazy way to travel.


Slumbering along the Mekong
Originally uploaded by susiederkins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home